Giving Team Members a Voice
A Food and Nutrition team creates an environment where employees feel free to voice their opinions and ideas—and can expect action to be taken on their input.See what changes got results » Share or download this video »
Find a practice to try with your team
All Hands for kp.org
Primary care team used the entire staff for a sign-up promotion, they posted signs to encourage registration, and spoke with patients about the benefits of KP.org.
- Members are better served and get better care when signed up with KP.org
- Getting all team members involved in the promotional effort
Kid Food: Serve It
Pediatrics team suggested kid-friendly food like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and created restaurant style menus with imagery of zoo animals.
- Kids need to eat, and wasted food is wasting money.
- Offering kid-friendly food items
Fully Stocked for Less Money
This team is saving thousands of dollars by using computer spreadsheets to track inventory and reduce waste.
- Efficient inventory process saves money and reduces frustration.
- Creating electronic record-keeping system
Dressing Room Cuts Wait Times
Wait times for patients plummeted when this radiology made a small change with a big impact.
- Long waits frustrate patients and reduce access to care.
- Converting closet into a dressing room
Get Out Front of Hypertension
Adult Primary Care team increased the proportion of patients with their high blood pressure under control after a concerted outreach effort.
- Controlling high-blood pressure is essential to patient health.
- Reaching out to at-risk patients for hypertension, especially diabetics
Choosing to Work Positively
Medical center operators find ways to manage the stress of answering tens of thousands of phone calls per month.
- Practicing mindfulness and focusing on the positive helps reduce stress at work and home.
- Create a gratitude jar and gratitude tree to build morale, relieve stress
New Printers Reduce Jams
Once they tracked and documented wasted paper, toner and IT time, members of this patient registration team made the case for new printers and saved a ton of money.
- Better printers save money and speed patients through the clinic.
- Tracking waste and printer ineffiencies
Skin-to-Skin Is Best for Babies
The proportion of newborns getting at least 60 minutes of skin-to-skin contact with their moms soared after this labor and delivery team communicated with staff about the importance of this practice.
- Skin-to-skin contact improves bonding, and helps to regulate heart rate and respiration.
- Teaching everyone the importance of skin-to-skin contact
The 4-1-1 On Your New Baby
Parent satisfaction scores went up with this NICU team used a checklist to teach new parents about their baby and created a script for nurses that didn't feel rehearsed.
- Health care providers play a key role in teaching new parents skills to take care of baby.
- Creating a checklist as a teaching tool
Make New Members Feel Welcome
This Adult Primary Care UBT saw service scores go up after it created a "road map" on how to utilize services.
- Reaching out and welcoming new members improves loyalty.
- Calling new members to help set up appointments
Bring Mail Together and Save
These team saved thousands of dollars when it took gradual steps to centralize mail processing for whole region. negotiated lower rates for vendor services.
- Saving money helps us keep KP affordable for members and patients.
- Facilities sorted and metered mail at fewer locations, enabling the team to negotiate lower rates for vendor services
Getting Better at Collecting Third-Party Billings
Collecting money owed from third parties skyrocketed when this finance team trained up staff and used the electronic tools at their fingertips.
- To keep KP affordable for all patients and members, we need to collect the money owed to us.
- Teaching how to code for workplace injuries and accidents